Hello AYB Families and Friends,
As many of you have heard, the Ashwaubenon Village Board approved our Back to Baseball plan at Tuesday night's meeting. We are grateful to the Village Board and the Parks and Recreation Department for their guidance through this process. I would also like to thank the AYB Board for their thoughtful consideration to come up with a plan that not only the Village Board would be comfortable with, but also what we thought would be our best path forward for this year. There were no clear or easy decisions in this process. We know there are many more decisions that will need to be made in the coming days, weeks, and months and we will do the best we can to have baseball played this year.
For those of you with children in other Ashwaubenon sports, I know there will be some difficulty in navigating all of the different plans. Part of the process was for all of us to find our own way. This has led to different views on the summer that you will need to figure out. Should you have any troubles understanding the different ways we see this, don't hesitate to reach out and I will try to help. For the time being, I am going to focus on some of the starting aspects of our plan. I will be keeping in contact during the coming days to guide us through this process.
This plan doesn't come without some pain points and compromise. I can tell you that none of the decisions were made lightly. Our main focus is and has been singular: let's get as many kids back to baseball as we safely can.
This list of changes is just the starting point. Again, over the next week or two we will further communicate changes at the ballpark, the way games are played, how kids are dropped off, etc. The plan we presented to the Village Board is posted on our website. Here are some of the important changes:
- All League and Tournament Team practices will begin on June 22. Games will begin July 1 (if ready) andTournament Teams will be allowed to begin playing in Tournaments after that date. Our home tournaments have been cancelled, but we will look at rescheduling them if possible.
- American Legion has cancelled their season. Losing Legion Baseball does mean that we will not be able to provide a JV Legion team for our 15 and 16 year old players. Also, the Bay Area League has been cancelled. This means 13 and 14 year old baseball will not be able to play other communities this year. Our resolution:
- Our 19U Varsity team will form an independent league team and will be playing teams from other communities, such as Sheboygan, GB Southwest, Appleton, and others. Indy Ball begins June 2.
- We will reform our own self-sustained Babe Ruth program for 13-16 year olds. This will take shape over the coming days, as we confirm the number of kids that will be playing. We will find the right age split and offer baseball to those age groups.
- We will not offer T Ball this season. Trying to find field space and assure a comfortable level of social distancing wasn't possible. We will resume offering T Ball in 2021. All families will be fully refunded. Children that followed the appeal process to move up to Single A will be allowed to play at that level this season.
- Concessions will not be offered. Though we reserve the right to reconsider this throughout the season, we didn't find an acceptable plan to make this worthwhile this year under current circumstances. We will struggle financially because of this. To help mitigate that, we will have a fundraiser this season to help with costs.
- We will have distancing guidelines at the park. Again, I will provide more details on how this will look and feel as we get down the road, but we want to make this as safe as we can for everyone. This will be an area we will address and have rules in place.
- There will be a waiver you will need to sign before your child is allowed to practice or play. We will provide this next week and it will be a requirement.
For Your Immediate Attention
You have until noon on June 3rd to opt your child out for the season. If you do, we will refund your registration fee for the summer. All requests made after that date, regardless of the outcome of the season, will not be accepted. We need to make financial decisions as a program and need to have a very solid grasp of where we stand no later than next week. You can opt out by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You DO NOT need to email me if your son WILL be playing!
Baseball at Ashwaubomay won't look exactly the same this summer. But over time, we will evolve our path forward and make this a fun and rewarding experience for everyone involved. Thank you all for your patience through all of this … and through the longest email I have sent in a long time! I appreciate all of your dedication and support of Ashwaubenon Youth Baseball. We will be better together.